Tuesday 24 February 2015

My Experience With Reflexology

What is Reflexology 


I felt it was time for me to start looking for more alternative therapies to help deal with stress from work and I found Reflexology. I had heard about it in the past so I began my research into the nuts and bolts of the treatment.

What is it?

It is a treatment based on ideas that the face, ears, hands, lower leg and feet all have areas that correspond with different areas of the body. It is a non intrusive treatment.



In the picture above you can see all the areas that Reflexology cover. It is very similar to the points used in acupuncture. 

Where does it come from?

Reflexology was first found in an ancient Egyptian tomb. Researchers found the inscription in the physician’s room in the tomb at Saqqara in Egypt. There is a thought that it originally came from the Roman Empire and made its way to Egypt.

What can it do for me?

As with any alternative treatment there is a question whether it works or not. The best way to find out is to try a treatment yourself and see if it benefits you. It is thought a treatment aims to restore the balance of the body naturally.  This happens via the therapist applying pressure to points on your body to carry out the treatment effectively. Normally all you have to do at this point is remove your shoes so that the therapist can go to work.



I found it very relaxing and I did feel some discomfort when the therapist was applying pressure on my face, but I wasn't sure if it was my sinuses playing up or toxins being released as part of the treatment.  That night I slept normally and feel absolutely fine the next day. I did feel that I had more energy to get stuff done, but I could honestly not be sure whether it was from the treatment or not.

My therapist recommended three sessions in total, which I was happy to attend as I felt very comfortable during the treatments after I got used the feeling of pressure being applied.

My therapist warned me at the beginning of the treatment that I could feel lethargic or emotional or even nauseas at the end of treatment, but I didn't not feel any of the symptoms that she spoke about.

Will I go for another treatment?

Yes I would, I believe that managing stress is an important aspect of life today, and I do believe that this treatment has some benefits, but I would consult my doctor first if had any serious problems and then if he agreed, seek alternative therapy as a second treatment.


No comments:

Post a Comment